How I’m Looking to Go Head to Head with Rich Patriarchs
As stated before, Lord of Columbia is a Manifesto for a Libertarian Revolution, but it’s more than just that; it’s a manifesto for all of us to stand up to the rich and powerful who want nothing more than to curtail our liberties.
No, this definitely doesn’t have anything to do with Marxism, as Marxism simply puts power into the hands of the state…aka…the rich and powerful, who then will distribute remaining goods (after the rich and powerful have had their loot) to the masses. In other words, Marxism basically means we’re all going to be poor while the rich and powerful own and distribute the goods. You’ll end up with this: 1% filthy rich class and 99% dirt poor class.
What are the odds of ending up in the rich class in a Marxist society?
Slim to None and Slim just left town.
So, in addition, Lord of Columbia can be, in Marxist terms, a Capitalist Manifesto in addition to being a Manifesto for a Libertarian Revolution. So, when I say I’m looking to come face to face with rich patriarchs, such patriarchs display the following traits:
1. The own everything, from land, to industry, to buildings businesses rent out.
2. They’re either involved in politics or have bought politicians at both the local and state level.
By looking at the top two traits, it’s clear that their number one enemy is freedom and, gasp, Capitalism. See, these people are sick, dirty chess players. The difference between Capitalism and Corporatism is simple: With Capitalism, new ideas always emerge via pure competition. In Corporatism, Crony Capitalists will buy their politicians who will then make laws to ensure pure competition is curtailed, meaning the masses are going to be forced to do the following:
1. If they own a business, pay ridiculously high rent since only a hallowed few own such rent and lease space.
2. By owning such large spaces and charging high rents, these people can, and this happens often in Wintersville/Steubenville, these can run others out and create what I call duopolies, oligopolies, and monopolies. Basically meaning the masses in Wintersville/Steubenville will be forced to pay more for goods as stores and other providers can raise a price however high they’d like. And again, there is a lot of government involved here creating this, not simply one or two people buying all the land and developments.
Story of Riesbecks
Those of you who’ve been following my blog for a time should’ve come across my time working for Riesbecks Food Markets. Well, now that the landlord, who’s heavily involved in shaping public policy in the area, is now charging outrageous prices for rent, to the point Riesbecks is being forced to close its doors, leaving a duopoly of grocery stores in town.
Guys, people in the Wintersville/Steubenville area must prepare to see a massive increase in price, so long as they continue to eek out a profit.
And again, this isn’t capitalism; this is total corporatism and how it intertwines with public policy. The man in charge here, Mr. Patterson (I won’t release the real name due to legalities), owns several blocks in Wintersville, and many of such outlets are his own businesses.
Well, let me tell you a little about this dirty, dirty player: He’s one abysmal businessman.
Over the past ten years, and I’m not making this up, the following has occurred:
1. He’s closed or had been forced to sell off at least three businesses over the past three years.
2. His rent prices have forced flea markets, gyms, skating rinks, two grocery stores, two furniture stores, and other businesses to either relocate or close up shop over the past thirteen years.
3. He has a son who’s heavily involved in politics. Hmm, how about that?
4. Another son, who I actually based a character on in Lord of Columbia, many of whom are local who read my book will know exactly who I’m talking about here, manages their…third furniture store, after they were forced to close the previous two due to lack of businesses. Now, what’s funny about this is I have a lot of dirt on this cat, too, and that he’s a former drug dealer. Again, I’m not going to mention any names here, other than, well, former drug dealer who’d never been caught nor sent to jail. And if you know how bad the drug epidemic is in Steubenville, where a drug bust occurs literally once a week, if not more, and he’s never been caught raises my suspicions.
Private Property Rights
Now, some of you may argue and point to Mr. Patterson’s private property rights, but being that the man knows, buys, and influences local politicians, which I’m going to be conducting some investigative research on in my free time, now that Northern Knights has been launched, and dig up a little more history on the man.
I’m all for the right to private property, rest assured, and definitely for free competition, free trade, free everything…except using government meddling to get ahead of the game. But being that Mr. Patterson literally owns half the town and serves as the area’s unelected lawmaker, he’s anything but free market, and Lord of Columbia depicts Patterson’s dirty actions.
Thanks for reading.
Links to Northern Knights: