How I’m Going to Hand Out Freebies
I’ve been reading many articles that debut authors writing a series would be wise to hand out free copies of their series starters. Though I agree with the tactic as a last resort, I’m not particularly sold on free handouts, or even for that matter, obtaining free handouts.
Because if I come across a site with a landing page and the author’s incentive for me visiting is a free copy of their debut novel in a series, I’m not going to read it, but had I been searching Amazon or a similar site for a book, I’d have gladly picked it up for $2.99.
To me, free means zero value.
However, I am a fan of limited-time free handouts, as they create a little sense of urgency. In other words, get it for free while you can or else the price is going to rise. Yes, there’s a value in my book and while it’s free, it won’t be free for long.
While I’m publishing on KDP Select for 90 days before branching to open publishing, I’ll happily take advantage of the free days to get the book in readers’ hands. However, I want to take it a little further and incentivize readers to not only purchase the debut book, Northern Knights, but also purchase my second book, working title is Swords of Destiny, when it comes out.
So, I came up with a fun marketing strategy.
About the Browns
1. The Cleveland Browns will play in twenty games this season (four preseason, sixteen regular). After each Browns win I’ll mark Northern Knights to free for twenty-four hours, before reverting back to its original price. When the Browns win, you win.
2. If the Browns make the playoffs, I’ll set both Northern Knights and Swords of Destiny for free for an entire week.
3. If the Browns advance in the playoffs, I’ll continue to keep both books for free until they’re eliminated. If they win the Super Bowl, I’ll keep the books in the store for free up to one week after the big dance.
4. Take note the Browns went 0-16 last season, haven’t won a playoff game since 1994, and haven’t been in the playoffs since 2002. Want more fun? They’ve never made the Super Bowl.
On the Indians
1. Okay, so if the Indians make the World Series, I’ll set Northern Knights for free over the duration of the entire World Series.
2. If the Indians win the Series, I’ll keep the book for free until Swords of Destiny debuts shortly after.
3. The Indians haven’t won the Series since 1948.
On the Cavs
1. If the Cavs beat the LeBron James-led Lakers, I’ll set one or both books for free for a whole week.
2. If the Cavs sweep the Lakers, I’ll set one or both books for free for two weeks.
3. The last time LeBron left in 2010, the Cavs followed up with a 19-63 record.
So, it’s going to be a fun, challenging way to kick off my Lord of Columbia series with Northern Knights and later on, Swords of Destiny dictating the price of my books. Don’t expect miracles, however, the City of Cleveland has only won one professional sports championship since 1964, has lost three World Series, and four NBA Finals.
If Cleveland sports wins, you win, but they tend to lose…. dammit, Pittsburgh! Their claims of being large and loyal fanbases are based on twelve professional sports championships since 1974…when they get the Cleveland treatment, we’ll see how loyal they are!
I’d like to thank all of my readers for coming across My Freedom Flame, please come back soon, and be on the lookout for Lord of Columbia: Northern Knights, set to be released within the next month.